Friday, October 5, 2012

Iowa: The Land of Corn

Iowa.  The state where I discovered my love for Nutella.  Where a vegetable burger is a burger with vegetables on it and not the normal veggie burger.  I love Iowa.  The men are ruggedly handsome, the corn is sweet and there is nothing to do.  It's very relaxing.  I went to go visit my dad's step-mom, Grandma to me, and the other various characters that live within those rolling hills.

Football:
I have never been to a football game.  That's a lie.  I did go to a couple in high school but I was just farting around at those.  My college's football team was a joke.  If they won two games a season, that was a success.  So yes, this was my first big kid football game ever and I learned a lot (I think)

The University of Iowa Hawkeyes played an exciting game.  From the start, they passed well and made their plays with precision...ok, this is what Daddy Greg told me.  I have no idea.  All I know is that it was a hot, sweaty Iowan day.

It was thrilling to sit so close to the players.  I got to hear the tackles and watch the players interact.  The enthusiasm of the crowd is intoxicating, even though I was sitting next to tiny humans and bleached blonds who just wanted to get laid.  Coming from Durango, it's not everyday you get to see that.

Exes:
I had a rare insight into my dad's life in Iowa.  My family, mom included, had dinner with my dad's ex-girlfriend.  Yay!  It was pleasant and delightful.  They dated for quite sometime in high school mostly because their mothers where best friends and both died within a year of each other (my dad's mom because of a care accident and her mom because of brain cancer.) 

We talked a lot about death.  Most of my dad's friend's have died and are dying and that definitely puts life into perspective.  But enough on that...

We also looked at old-timey photos of my dad in high school.  It's frightening how similar he and I look at that age.  The nose, the sarcastic smirk, the posture.  If only I had a crew-cut...

According to the Ex, I also look just like Virginia Louise King, my dad's mom.  I've never seen a picture of her and no one seems to have one but I guess I have her body (no waist, legs for miles, boobs.)  I guess she had a sense of humor but that's all that I really know. 

I really enjoyed my time with the Ex.  She talked to much but she was a hoot.  I learned a lot and made me realize that I need to have more adventures.

Maid-Rites:
So the best burgers are in Marshalltown, IA.  They aren't your normal burger.  It's like a dry sloppy joe with loose meat.  You finely chop ground beef, cook it with beef broth, water, and salt until the liquid is gone then you put the meat on a bun, put onions, pickles, and mustard on it and chow down. Eat with chocolate malt and dill pickle chips.

Ketchup is a sin.  I don't know why I'm just repeating what I'm told.

Here's a link:  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/iowa-maid-rites/

I'm sad to leave my grandma but happy for my next adventure: Italy!!

1 comment: